Resources & Credits
This exhibit was developed by Woodson Research Center staff in 2011-2012.
Special thanks go to Christopher Dow of Rice University for allowing broad excerpts from his article, "William Marsh Rice: A centennial portrait," originally published as a Special to the Rice News, 9/28/2000.
- Early Rice Institute records, 1844-1941 (bulk 1880-1916) These records include the original William Marsh Rice murder trial records, and the estate records of Rice, founder of Rice Institute, now Rice University. These records relate to the formation of the idea of the Rice Institute and the activities of its first Board of Trustees in the years before Mr. Rice’s death and to the Institute’s formative years just after his death. (117 boxes)
- Dow, Christopher. "William Marsh Rice: A centennial portrait." Special to the Rice News, 9/28/2000, accessed 9/22/2015 (http://news.rice.edu/2000/09/28/william-marsh-rice-a-centennial-portrait/). Special thanks to Christopher Dow for allowing his work to be excerpted in this online exhibit.
- Meiners, Fredericka. "A history of Rice University : the Institute years, 1907-1963, 1st ed." 1982. http://hdl.handle.net/1911/35955.
- Morris, Sylvia Stallings and Muir, Andrew Forest. "William Marsh Rice and his Institute: a biographical study." 1972. http://hdl.handle.net/1911/35963.
- "The book of the opening of the Rice Institute Vol 1." 1914. http://hdl.handle.net/1911/35962.
- "The book of the opening of the Rice Institute Vol 2." 1914. http://hdl.handle.net/1911/35957.
- "The book of the opening of the Rice Institute Vol 3." 1914. http://hdl.handle.net/1911/35953.