"Twice Uprooted Dick Dowling Statue May Be Moved Again" newsclipping
This article gives the history of the Dick Dowling statue in Houston and plans for the future location of the statue. The Dowling statue had been uprooted twice since it was unveiled in 1905 and was currently in a storage facility in Hermann Park. It originally stood in front of the Old City Hall at Travis and Preston and then was moved to Sam Houston Park in front of the historic Noble Home. A site had been selected for the statue in front of Hermann Hospital, but the Hermann estate declared they wanted to reserve the site for a future statue of Hermann. City Parks and Recreation Director, Gus Haycock, finally decided on an alternate location where the North MacGregor extension was being paved into Holcombe Blvd. Former City Councilman, Tom Needham, who was of Irish descent was disappointed with the new location of the statue. In his words, he didnt want the statue "shoved in some obscure corner of the park." At the end of the article, it mentions Dowling's feat at Sabine Pass and gives the year he died, 1867. It also reports that The Ancient Order of Hibernians presented to the Dowling statue to the city, which is not entirely true. The Dick Dowling Monument Association is credited with the fundraising and construction of the monument. This Dick Dowling Monument Assocation was comprised by members of the Dick Dowling Camp, U. C. V. , the Ancient Order of Hibernians, and the Emmet Council, a Catholic organization.
"Twice Uprooted Dick Dowling Statue May Be Moved Again", The Houston Chronicle, April 27, 1958, Section C, p 8.
Digital version published by Rice University
Is Referenced By