While dredging and construction for commercial uses were underway along Buffalo Bayou circa 1910-1927, the Houston Yacht Club was located on the bayou at Harrisburg, near Brady Island, a few miles east of current day University of Houston.
Harrisburg represented an ideal locale for sailing sports: the dredging of the ship channel offered quiet, deep streams for the organization’s members. This property also fostered group’s canoeists on the quiet and calm waters near Harrisburg.
By 1910, the fleet numbered more than 100 boats, from large cruisers to small crafts.
As Houston and the commercial waterway grew, the Club’s canoeists encountered increased difficulties from their position at Harrisburg. In March 1924, the canoeing division, whose summer retreat was near Greens Bayou on the Ship Channel, opted to relocate to a new site. “The ship channel was no longer an ideal location for canoeing because increased traffic on the Channel resulted in the constant threat of being overturned by the wake of tugs, speedboats, and freighters.” Thus the Yacht Club’s longstanding support of the Ship Channel and the development of the Port of Houston, ironically, served as a disadvantage to one of the organization’s more formidable and popular wings. The canoeing division therefore moved to a new site near the San Jacinto River.