Allen's Landing, 1910

 

Allen’s Landing, on the banks of Buffalo Bayou at the foot of Main Street in downtown Houston, was the first home of the Houston Yacht Club.

The Yacht Club docked their boats at the city wharves near Allen’s Landing, a place bustling with larger boats carrying bricks, cotton and lumber, as well as fresh seafood from Galveston Bay.

Allen's Landing as seen from Buffalo Bayou

 

For years later, after the Club had moved to Galveston Bay, many members opted to house their boats in Buffalo Bayou near Allen’s Landing, the original home of the burgeoning yachting organization. Some of the larger and more exclusive yachts, such as Arthur Burton’s Sebonac, were anchored in the ship channel’s turning basin.  Likewise, even though the Club no longer officially called it home, other members, such as Jerry Mitchell, William P. Hobby, and Hogg brothers, kept their boats at Harrisburg. In fact, the Army Corps of Engineers even docked a quartermaster boat at the old clubhouse.

It is quite clear that, although the Yacht Club had moved formally to Galveston Bay, many members still retained unofficial ties to the Club’s formative locales along Buffalo Bayou.